Friday, July 2, 2010

Amma in Dallas

I am very happy that I met Amma (Mata Amritanandamayi) this year - 10th consecutive year! Every meeting is a memorable one. However, Germany program is my most favorite of all because: I had a lot of direct interaction with Amma; the venue was only about 1 hr by direct tram from where I lived; the program was for three full days; did lot of seva; good interaction with people; made some dear friends; got engaged with Mahesh by the hands of Amma.

2001 - Madurai
2002 - Madurai, Boston (Andover)
2003 - Boston (Andover), Rhode Island retreat
2004 - Mannheim (Germany)
2005 - Mannheim (Germany)
2006 - Mannheim (Germany), Amritapuri
2007 - Mannheim (Germany)
2008 - Chennai, Iowa, Chicago
2009 - Iowa
2010 - Dallas

First, I met Amma in Madurai with my parents. The tenth time in Dallas with my husband and our baby growing inside me. We drove to Dallas by car. We left on Friday evening, stayed overnight at Oklahoma City. Reached Dallas late in the afternoon on Saturday. Around the same time my cousin sister Nimmi and her family arrived Dallas from Houston. Everyone of us took some rest for couple of hours and then had dinner at a South Indian restaurant.

After about 6 hours sleep I woke up at 5.15 am the next day & was waiting for Mahesh to get up. We drove for 15 minutes to Hyatt Regency at DFW airport. We reached Hyatt at 8.45 am. Mahesh and myself were supposed to decorate Amma’s seat with flowers an hour before Amma arrives. So, we hurried selecting flowers, cutting, removing leaves and thorns. We chose 9 red roses, 8 double color - pink & white carnations, baby’s breath and ferns. We finished in about 15 minutes. It looked so beautiful. As always, Amma arrived on time at 10 am. After meditation and prayers Amma sat for darshan. We felt so honored and fortunate for decorating Her seat. I am glad that Nimmi and her family got the chance to meet Amma personally for the first time. We decided to go for darshan in the evening. In the evening, we attended the satsang, meditation, prayers and bhajans. I was fully satisfied hearing Amma sing, I last heard Amma sing in 2007. Amma’s bhajans were so powerful, the music was vibrating my whole body. Then, Amma started darshan. Usually, I either do some seva or sit closer to Amma and just watch her. But this time, I was too tired that I left the hall and sat on a nice sofa in the lounge. Did not feel like eating dinner, felt little dizzy and had just a glass of fresh juice. We had to wait for another 4-5 hrs for our turn/token number, that would be after 2 am! I did not want to make my pregnancy as an excuse to get into the special line. Meanwhile, Mahesh went on talking to devotees, swamijis as well as to Amma. He came to me in a shortwhile and said that Amma is calling me, I did not believe it. It seems Amma asked him where I am and when he said that I am sitting outside, She asked me to get me in. I went in and got the darshan immediately. They actually provided me a stool for support which I did not use. Amma caressed my navel area and blessed us with flowers. Leaving my heart in the hall we left to our hotel soon. Usually, I stay awake till Amma leaves the hall at 3 am or 4 am. My body did not support me this time. Mahesh also told me that Amma asked him when he is going to return to India (She is asking this for the second time). She also mentioned about a school under construction in Rameshwaram that needs more funding for completion and asked Mahesh to do his possible help.

I was still tired the next day - Monday. Whatever, I did not want to miss the prasad seva. We finished the prasad giver seva and were ready to leave the hall to start our journey back to Kansas. When we went to say bye to Amma from a distance, we were given an unexpected darshan for the second time. Usually, if got a darshan once we cannot have again, so that the new ones are given opportunities as well as a way to manage the crowd. Amma asked how we guys are doing and blessed each of us with an apple. All I asked Amma during the hug is to seed some spirituality onto the unborn and that (s)he should not be too materialistic. We departed Dallas afternoon on Monday, took a break at Oklahoma City, stayed overnight at Wichita and arrived Lawrence late in the morning on Tuesday.

We have planned to meet Amma in San Ramon next year, if God wills.

No comments: