Saturday, August 28, 2010

Iyengar Yoga

I first got introduced to yoga in the year 2000, exactly ten years ago. I attended the beginner's class conducted by the Vivekananda Kendra Prakashan in Bangalore. I really liked it but because of my then situations could not attend the advanced levels. I was practicing yoga asanas once in a blue moon. Now, being pregnant, I wanted to get myself some exercise, so chose the prenatal yoga and joined the class at a yoga center that follows Iyengar Yoga. Though I have heard of iyengar yoga, did not know much about the person who is behind it. The 92 years old Padma Shri Padma Bhushan award recipent B.K.S. Iyengar is the founder of this yoga and has been practicing since he was 15. Iyengar has researched Sage Patanjali's yoga sutras and has simplified them for the present human. Patanjali is known to be the compiler of yoga sutras. However, the 5th century tamil literature 'Thirumular Thirumandiram' says that sage patanjali learnt from Guru Nandhi Deva! OK, I came across couple of impressive videos of BKS Iyengar's on youtube.





I had been having some pregnancy related back aches and leg cramps for the last one month. Just after two classes of practicing iyengar yoga, my back ache is gone and leg cramps have reduced. Groin muscle pull with pricking sensation is the only after effect of my yoga practice which might be because of lack of exercise for a long time. Kim Lacy, a certified Iyengar instructor is my teacher. She has also directly attended BKS Iyengar's classes in India. I also found out that she has met Amma/Ammachi! She said she met Amma in Seatle, WA program and was telling her experience. I felt that I have gone or in other words I have been sent to the right center, right teacher at the right time.

No comments: